Friday, March 4, 2011

PBR...and I don't mean Pabst Blue Ribbon!


In professional bull riding, the cowboy must ride 8 seconds to earn a score. Judges rate each rider on how well he matches the bull's moves and maintains control of the ride. They judge the bull on his athleticism, which takes into account direction changes, spin, kicks, and height of jumps.



The overall winner is the rider with the highest combined score on five bulls for a three-day event. We attended the finals in St. Louis in February.

Click on the picture for a closer look.





The funniest name for one of the bulls was Booger Red. As expected, he threw the rider off in less than 4 seconds.

I prefer bikes over bulls.




And daddy won't you take me back to Mulenberg county
Down by the Green River, where Paradise lay
Well I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in askin'
Mr. Peabody's coal train has hauled it away (lyrics by John Prine)



No comments: