Monday, March 7, 2016

Holland - the land of tulips, raw herring, canals, and wooden shoes!

 My Amsterdam AirBnb apartment with fresh tulips

The apartment is in the heart of Amsterdam along a pedestrian walkway. Shops, restaurants, and delightful canals are within a minute's walk from here.
 AirBnB kitchen
 Living room. Also includes an outdoor patio, flat screen TV, wireless internet, and a washing machine - all for $100 a night.
 I took a canal cruise to see the city. Sat with a couple from Ukraine. I asked how their country is doing these days and she said it was just status quo - not getting any worse, but not getting any better either.

I also visited the Van Gogh Art Museum.  His work is quite appealing!
 Another view of Amsterdam


Oh, and the wooden shoe thing? Nobody wears 'em, The only wooden shoes they sell these days are refrigerator magnets or spongy wooden-shoe shaped slippers.  When I was a kid, Dirk Koening, a Rotary Exchange student from Holland brought my brothers and I wooden shoes. We didn't wear them either.



 Pepperoni pizza - my favorite!
This is a "coffee shop." In Amsterdam this is code for marijuana dispensary where, since the 1970s, you can legally purchase and indulge.
My raw herring sandwich with onions and pickles from a street vendor.
 This picture is for Joy. Amsterdam has a flower market where they sell bulbs of all shapes, sizes, and kinds; seeds; and flowers.
 Oh, and the bicycles!  Bike lanes, folding bikes, clunky bikes, bikes with babies, and bikes with bikers without helmets!


I am sorry my trip here is so short. Off to Leeuwarden tomorrow for a 3 day visit to Stenden University.


One month, 2 bags! 

No comments: