Thursday, February 25, 2016

And now, the rest of the story...

This was our shower at one guesthouse which shared a wall with the street and sidewalk. While it looks like some serious personal space invasion, it was situated such that people really couldn't see you.  We thought it was quite funny.
This container full of chopsticks sat on a restaurant table in Laos. I partook and used a pair, but was instantly troubled by the "tips up or tips down" issue.  Think about it, if they were placed tips up, then everyone is touching the part of the stick that you will put in the food and in your mouth. If they are placed tips down, then you have to wonder just what all is at the bottom of this container where the tips are resting.
 To combat issues like those raised in the previous picture, you can see Tom's solution.  He embraces World War II 5 Star General Hap Arnold's approach who drank whiskey as a kind of cure all (kill all?) when he had suspicions about cleanliness or food safety.

I wasn't drinking whiskey for any such purpose so I just crossed my fingers, eyes, and toes that I wouldn't get sick. It pretty much worked!

Peking-style roasted duck. The Thais ordered this for us on the last night of our trip.  I'm not a big duck fan but must admit that it was quite good!
The market in Laos was memorable on so many fronts.  No refrigeration, just hope that they sell all of the meat on market day (and don't ask what happens to the unsold meat if it doesn't).
Birds
Ahh, back to an upscale gourmet grocery store in Bangkok where they sell decorative fruit cups.
Ant eggs
Back to the Laos market for a hunk of snake meat.
Tom and the girls on Cowboy Soi
Angkor Wat, Cambodia - setting up to watch the sun rise over the temple ruins.
This lady was bugging me. She stood right behind me and kept coughing on my neck while waiting for the sun to rise, so I snapped her picture.


Tom and I had the time of our lives. Nune, Panpim, P Daow, and Malin were wonderful hosts!  Thank you for such a memorable and enjoyable experience!