Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Campus life at SWU

 Bangkok comes alive in the evenings after the sun sets and it cools off.  At the university, the students (who look more high school age than college) go outside to practice group exercise.
No need for costly gym memberships, just get some friends together and do your thing!
Tonight I had dinner with the dean and several faculty colleagues from the Faculty of Sustainability Studies.  We went to a famous Vietnamese restaurant called Le Dalat, just steps from campus.  As is the custom, many different dishes are ordered and then shared among the group. This is sliced pork sausage on noodles.
 I think these are spring rolls.  Whatever they were called, they were delicious. The greenery behind the rolls are fresh herbs that you tear off from the plant and eat.  I ate some leaves but I don't know what they were called.
Panpim, Natedaow, Annt, Kanda (the college dean), Nune and me.

Today I had a Thai massage. It lasted 1 hour and cost less than $10!  I was skeptical because, in Tom's words, I'm a guitar strung too tight! But it was very relaxing and I only jumped about 6 times.  Massage is common in Thai culture and considered a part of healthful living.  While there are many high-end health spas that charge much more, there are also more affordable options for everyday folk.

No comments: