Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Lao People's Democratic Republic

Vang Vieng - the view from our resort in Laos. Nook, a graduate of the SWU program, built and operates this property.  Both the faculty members and students are very proud of Nook's accomplishments!

His resort, along with the outdoor recreation businesses in the area bring new forms of employment and opportunity to the Laos people. I loved observing and hearing about all of it.


Laos was a former French colony and today is a communist republic. The capital of Vientiane has a monument akin to the Arc de Triomphe in Paris.
 To travel where we did in Laos meant traveling on a road with no line markings that was often riddled with potholes and windy curves. Dramamine was the pill of choice for everyone on the bus except for me and the driver.

It took us 4 hours to travel 109 miles.
 Markets - open air and super, are just about my favorite places to visit in a foreign country. I took a double take at these little gems for sale.
  Song River

This, and the previous picture, is our intrepid group who hiked to the summit of this mountain.

 Beer-Lao
The resort has its own rice field.
The last night in Laos there was a BBQ for our group.  Laos food is very spicy and I loved every bite.  I rarely had to add any more spice, but my Thai friends did!
Would you like to ride in my beautiful balloon?

This was never on my bucket list, but my Thai friends convinced me a balloon ride would be a good thing to do.  To allay my fears, Panpim told me that her fortune teller predicted that she would have a very long life.

Malin told me later that she could tell I was nervous. She was right. I think I look nervous in this picture!
 Sunrise from the balloon

Beautiful Laos!

No comments: